Choice Neighborhoods Initiative (CNI)
The HUD Choice Neighborhoods Initiative (CNI) employs a comprehensive approach to neighborhood transformation. The program helps communities by revitalizing distressed public (and/or assisted) housing while investing and leveraging investments in:
- Well-functioning services and public assets
- High quality public schools/education programs
- High quality early learning programs/services
- Public transportation and mobility
- Improved access to jobs
The CNI will ensure that current residents will be able to benefit from this transformation by preserving affordable housing or providing residents with the choice to move in to affordable and accessible housing in another existing neighborhood of opportunity.
The Choice Neighborhoods Initiative is focused on three core goals:
- Housing: Transform distressed public and assisted housing into energy efficient, mixed-income housing that is physically and financially viable over the long term.
- People: Support positive outcomes for families who live in the target developments and the surrounding neighborhood, particularly outcomes related to residents' education, health and recreation, safety, employment, and mobility; and
- Neighborhood: Transform distressed neighborhoods into viable, mixed-income neighborhoods with access to well-functioning services, high quality public schools and education programs, high quality early learning programs and services, public assets, public transportation, and improved access to jobs.
Where Does Fayetteville Fit In?
The City and FMHA are required to develop and implement a comprehensive neighborhood revitalization strategy, or Transformation Plan. This Plan will become the guiding document for the revitalization of the public housing units while simultaneously directing positive transformation of the surrounding neighborhood. To successfully develop and implement the Transformation Plan, The City of Fayetteville and FMHA will work with Murchison Townhouse residents, public and private agencies, community and philanthropic organizations, neighborhood residents, and other identified individuals and stakeholder groups to gather and leverage resources needed to support the strategic and financial sustainability of the Plan.
Click here to learn more about the Murchison Choice Neighborhood Plan